Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Canticle of the Creatures



Most High, all-powerful, good Lord,
all praise is yours, all glory, all honor,
and all blessing.
To you, alone, Most High, do they belong.
No mortal lips are worthy to pronounce your name.
All praise be yours, my Lord,
through all you have made,
and first my lord Brother Sun, who brings the day;
and through whom you give us light.
How beautiful is he, how radiant in all his splendor;
Of you, Most High, he bears the likeness.
All Praise be yours, my Lord, through Sister Moon
and the stars; in the heavens you have made them,
bright, and precious, and fair.
All praise be yours, my Lord,
through Brothers wind and air, and fair and stormy,
all the weather's moods,
by which you cherish all that you have made.
All praise be yours, my Lord, through Sister Water,
so useful, humble, precious and pure.
All praise be yours, my Lord, through Brother Fire,
through whom you brighten up the night.
How beautiful is he, how cheerful!
Boisterous and strong.
All praise be yours, my Lord, through our Sister
Mother Earth, who sustains us and governs us,
and produces various fruits with colored flowers
and herbs.
All praise be yours, my Lord,
through those who grant pardon for love of you;
through those who endure sickness and trial.
Happy are those who endure in peace,
By You, Most High, they will be crowned.
All praise be yours, my Lord, through Sister Death,
From whose embrace no mortal can escape.
Woe to those who die in mortal sin!
Happy those she finds doing your will!
The second death can do them no harm.
Praise and bless my Lord, and give him thanks
And serve him with great humility.

- Saint Francis of Assisi

10 comments:

  1. Pure joyous belief in something greater is a beautiful thing. This is an exultation of nature. I'm going to read this prayer to my buddy, J Edgar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Franciscans myself, I took the name Francis at my confirmation and saw this prayer in the Franciscan church where I worship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I liked most about this poetry is that the writer sees everything around him as sisters, brothers and mother. This guy really likes nature!

    Thanks Rory for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mohamed,

    This poem was written by Saint Francs of Assisi, a very famous Christian saint. He was a famous lover of nature.
    He founded an order of monks called Franciscan Friars who have a 13th century church a few hundred meters from where I live.
    He has alway been my favorite saint and the church near me has always been my favorite church.

    Rory

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just Posted On 'Understanding Islam' Blog:

    Simple Lies & Complex Truth

    Solution:

    No major religions equals...
    No Religious Wars! - reb
    ___________________________

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reb,

    Complex Truth

    No military Industrial Complex equals...
    No Wars Whatsoever.

    Rory

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rory - Wrong again! Hamas, Hezbollah, & the Taliban have "holy war" for breakfast, lunch and dinner in between facing Mecca five times daily, to pray; not a vast industrial complex anywhere, just Prophet Mohammad & Allah! - reb
    ______________________________________________

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mohamed Fadly, in Feb 6th post "Good Belief, Bad Believers" scored some valid points that were missed by people too deeply engrossed in their own notions of historical reality. It's the story of Positive Vs Negatives.
    >
    Mohamed also might agree with Spencer's accurate history of Khaybar Oasis, after the Jewish exile from Medina, and the story of Apostle Mohammad's victory over the Jewish residents. See > "Slaughter the Muslims"...

    "Slaughter The Muslims, slaughter the Jew" should be read and analysed carefully.

    See: Amillennialist, February 12th. - reb
    ______________________________________________

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this prayer.

    Very gentle and peaceable.

    Thanks for putting it up on this blog.

    ReplyDelete